I know you know how to make a margarita. But I’m going to teach you how to make a margarita that SLAYS. It’s the kind of cocktail that you would be very happy to pay big bucks for at your favorite fancy watering hole. It’s cool, floral, spicy and smoky – a total summer margarita glow up.Jump to Recipe
This margarita is so much more than the usual formula of tequila + triple sec + lime. She has tequila and lime, yes, but also smoky mezcal, floral St. Germain elderflower liqueur, along with muddled cucumber, lime, fresh jalapenos and cilantro. Together they are a symphony of flavors, and one that packs a punch too, and this cocktail is a great way to flex your newfound mixology skills on your friends.
How to Elevate A Basic Margarita
One way to level up a basic cocktail is to use more than one type of booze – with flavors that are complimentary to each other. This cocktail has three types – tequila, mezcal (tequila’s smoky & sultry cousin) and elderflower liqueur. We make this with a one to one to one ratio, meaning each cocktail has one part tequila, one part mezcal and one part St. Germain.
Another way to infuse cocktails with more flavor is to use a cocktail muddler. Muddling ingredients in a cocktail shaker basically means to mash the living heck out of them, which extracts flavor, oils and juice from whatever you’re muddling. In this case, we muddle limes, cucumber, jalapenos and cilantro which makes a zesty, cool and spicy pulp at the bottom of the shaker.
Next, we add ice and the tequila, mezcal, and elderflower liqueur and shake, shake shake it up to blend all the flavors together.
Finally, adding fancy salt to the rim is key. In the case of this Tequila, Mezcal and Elderflower Cocktail we added black sea salt, but pink salt would also be good here. That’s it! now you can make the most refreshing, floral, spicy and smoky summer margarita of your dreams.
Looking for even more summer cocktails? We’ve got you covered!
- Paloma Picante Cocktail
- Tropical Lime & Coconut Cocktail
- Violet Champagne Cocktail – AKA The Elizabeth Taylor
If you make this recipe for this floral, spicy, summer margarita, or any other recipe from my blog, drop a comment below and leave me a star rating. Plus, be sure to tag me on Instagram, and use the hashtags #agirldefloured #deflouredrecipes! Thank you!
Cool, Floral, Spicy & Smoky Margarita
- Cocktail Shaker
- 3 slices cucumber
- 2 slices jalapeno pepper
- 1 lime (quartered)
- 3 sprigs cilantro
- 2 oz silver tequila
- 2 oz St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur
- 2 oz Mezcal
- black sea salt
- long, thin cucumber slices
- Rub the lips of two glasses with a cut lime and dip into sea salt and place the long, thin cucumber slices around the inside of the glass in a spiral shape. Set aside.
- Put the cucumber slices, jalapeno slices, quartered lime and cilantro sprigs into a cocktail shaker and muddle using a cocktail muddler or a thick handle of a wooden utensil. Smash everything up until there is a nice juicy pulp at the bottom of the shaker.
- Fill the shaker with crushed ice and add the tequila, St. Germain, and mezcal. Cover the shaker and shake vigorously for about 10 seconds.
- Carefully fill the glasses with crushed ice and strain the cocktail into them. Serve immediately.