Wow. July came in like a roar (or a furnace blast) and it is officially too-hot-to-cook season. I’m always on the lookout for fun and fresh things to do with the old standby — rotisserie chicken. Don’t get me wrong, I love chicken salad. In fact, this Cilantro Pepita Chicken Salad recipe is one of my favorites. But sometimes the mayo-forward, classic chicken salad feels old fashioned (even when you add a dash of curry). This week, we had a couple of beautiful avocados to use up so I decided to make this cool and creamy Avocado Chicken Salad.Jump to Recipe
This Avocado Chicken Salad has zero mayo, but tons of flavor. It gets its creamy texture from smashed ripe avocados, naturally. It’s light and bright, spicy and crunchy, and yes it’s also keto friendly. If I wasn’t trying to dispense of my quarantine 15, I’d totally eat it with tortilla chips. But since I am being extra virtuous these days, it was delish stuffed into baby bell peppers and spooned over thick slices of cold cumber. Or you could even throw it into a gluten-free flour tortilla for a wrap which would be perfect for toting to a picnic.
This recipe is so easy to put together if you have cold, shredded rotisserie chicken on hand. Simply mash up an avocado, add lime juice, cilantro and onions, guacamole style, stir in the chicken and some diced radishes and cucumbers for the crunch and cool/heat contrast. And I always love to add some minced jalapeño peppers because somehow extra hot weather calls for extra spicy food.
I absolutely loved this Avocado Chicken Salad and I expect that it will be in regular rotation this summer. What do you to do fancy up rotisserie chicken? Do tell!
If you make this recipe, or any other recipe from my blog, drop a comment or leave a star rating below and be sure to tag me on Instagram, and use the hashtags #agirldefloured #deflouredrecipes! Thank you!
The Best No Mayo Avocado Chicken Salad
- 1 large avocado
- juice from one large lime
- ¾ pound cooked shredded chicken breast
- 4 medium radishes (quartered and thinly sliced)
- 1 small cucumber (cut into quarters lengthwise and thinly sliced)
- 4 green onions (thinly sliced)
- ¼ cup of fresh cilantro (roughly chopped)
- 1 teaspoon of minced jalapeño pepper (to taste)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Mash the avocado in a medium bowl until fairly smooth. Stir in the lime juice.
- Fold in the chicken, radishes, cucumber, green onion, cilantro and jalapeño and stir until evenly coated with the avocado mixture.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, or a little more lime juice if needed. Serve immediately with corn chips, baby bell peppers or slices of cucumber (or all three)