This ham and egg cup recipe bakes delicious treats that rise up gloriously high in the oven, then slump gently as they cool. Serve with toasted gluten-free bread and fruit for breakfast, or a zesty arugula salad for brunch. I decided to call them Danish, in honor of the classic Dane flavor combination of dill & Havarti cheese.
Recipe card & instructions updated 3/24/22.Jump to Recipe
I often make myself a little omelet for breakfast–one egg, one slice of ham, fresh herbs and a light sprinkling of cheese. It’s quite petite, compared to the three-egg, cheese-laden heap that arrives when I order an omelet from a restaurant. But it’s the perfect size for me, not to mention filling and delicious. However, even the best breakfasts get a little tiresome after awhile.
So last week, in an effort to mix things up a bit, I turned my omelet inside out! I used a ham slice to create a bowl, and filled it with an egg, beaten with a little crème fraiche, dill, Havarti cheese and sliced spring onions–flavors that make my mouth sing.
As they were cooking they filled my kitchen with the most amazing and cozy aroma of baked ham. They came out of the oven gloriously high and mighty, then settled into a relaxed, slumped state…much like our Sunday mornings. I loved them. So much, in fact, that I think I’ll make this ham and egg cup recipe for Easter brunch (and probably just for myself before that too). I decided to call them Danish Ham & Egg Cups, because the flavor profile–dill & Havarti cheese–reminded me so much of my Danish grandfather.
So tell me, how do you like your eggs?
Love this ham and egg cup recipe? Here are some more breakfasts that you will love:
- Green Chile Ham & Egg Cups – a grab-and-go, low-carb breakfast
- Gluten-Free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Breakfast Cookies
- Delicious Gluten Free Gingerbread Muffins With Pear
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and star rating below (⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐) and post a picture and tag us on Instagram using the hashtags #agirldefloured #deflouredrecipes! Thank you!
Danish Ham & Egg Cups w/ Dill & Havarti Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray 6 compartments in a muffin pan with gluten-free cooking spray. Gently line the tin with the slices of ham, creating a bowl shape. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs lightly with a whisk. Whisk in the cheese, crème fraîche, scallions, dill, salt and pepper until evenly combined.
- Pour the mixture evenly into the prepared ham cups.
- Bake for 25 minutes until the eggs are puffed and lightly golden brown (and cooked through). Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then gently lift from the pan and serve immediately. Garnish with extra dill if desired.
Thank you for helping support my small business! A Girl Defloured earns revenue in a few different ways; I have occasional sponsored post and I also earn an affiliate commission on the sales of products I link to— there might be a few of those links in this post. The only items that I feature are those that I use on a regular basis and that I truly love. I earn a small commission on your purchase, but you don’t pay any more than retail price. This allows me to share my recipes with you (and keeps me well fed). THANK YOU!