This gluten-free birthday cake granola is whole grain, refined sugar free, and also happens to be freaking delicious. We recently visited my cousin and her sweet family in South Lake Tahoe. While there I got to hike in the woods, hand feed wild chickadees, love on her adorable babies, and eat a birthday cake granola that 100% ruined my diet. My version is actually kinda good for you, but still has (naturally colored) sprinkles because sometimes we just need some fun in our lives.
Updated recipe card and images on 7/21/21Jump to Recipe
HOW TO MAKE GLUTEN-FREE BIRTHDAY CAKE GRANOLA
I mean, good granola always tastes like an oatmeal cookie. The very best granolas, like this gluten-free birthday cake granola, are chock full of whole grain, thick-cut oats, and other wholesome ingredients like puffed millet, and puffed brown rice. Sweetened only with a little honey and some coconut sugar, this granola is also refined sugar free. I added cashews because my family loves them, but if you or yours has an allergy you can absolutely leave them out. Or if cashews aren’t your thing, feel free to swap them for pecans or slivered almonds. Or chocolate chips. I’m not going to judge you.
This gluten-free birthday cake granola is delicious over unsweetened, plain yogurt, or over vanilla ice cream, or eaten by the handful at midnight in a dark pantry…ahem. It makes breakfast feel like a party. And these days, we all can use a reason to celebrate.
WANT MORE GLUTEN-FREE BREAKFAST IDEAS? TRY THESE RECIPES:
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and star rating below (⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐) and post a picture and tag us on Instagram using the hashtags #agirldefloured #deflouredrecipes! Thank you!
Birthday Cake Granola
- Sheet Pan
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F and line a rimmed cookie sheet with parchment or spray with cooking spray.
- Heat the coconut oil, honey and coconut sugar in a small sauce pan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until everything is melted and blended together. Stir in the salt and vanilla and remove from heat.
- Put the oats, puffed millet and rice in a large bowl. Pour over the coconut oil mixture and stir to evenly coat all the grains.
- Pour oat mixture into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring halfway though. Stir in the nuts and bake for 5 minutes more.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the pan. Stir in the sprinkles.
- Store granola in an airtight container.