This easy recipe for gluten-free banana bread has a delicious moist, light and tender crumb. A touch of cardamom adds a fresh citrusy note, and the chocolate chips are optional – but are they really?Jump to Recipe
Recipe card, images and ingredients updated 7/21/21.
I’m completely in love with banana bread. Maybe not as much as my kids, one of whom was crying with happiness when it came out of the oven. But I like it a whole lot. I haven’t made it since my celiac diagnoses in September for a couple of reasons, the first being that everybody kept eating all the bananas I bought (so none were left to ripen into the mushy, black-mottled mess that makes the perfect bread). The second reason was that I was scared it wouldn’t taste as good. I worried that it would be dense, chewy and gritty, as gluten-free baked goods often are. Thus we’ve gone without a favorite snack for a very long time. But blessedly, I discovered that my old recipe converted perfectly and that gluten-free chocolate chip banana bread could be ours – and just as scrumptious as ever!
Happily my first try with this recipe for gluten-free banana bread was perfect. Really, unbelievably perfect. I used Cup4Cup flour and I was so pleased with the results! Short of a side-by-side comparison, it tasted exactly like I remembered. Actually, it was better, because it didn’t make me sick. The kids could hardly contain themselves and made me slice it when it was still piping hot from the oven. The crumb was light and tender and it rose high in the pan. Most gluten free breads are best when eaten the same day. I’d like to tell you that this bread is equally good the second day, but sadly, there won’t be any left.
Recently, I added a touch of cardamom and cinnamon to this recipe. The cardamom adds a bright citrusy note, and the cinnamon a cozy one. Together, they elevate this gluten-free chocolate chip banana bread to new flavor heights. I can’t imagine making it any other way.
LOVE QUICKBREADS? CHECK OUT THESE OTHER RECIPES!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and star rating below (⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐) and post a picture and tag us on Instagram using the hashtags #agirldefloured #deflouredrecipes! Thank you!
Recipe for Gluten-Free Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips
- Standard Loaf Pan (8-1/2 x 4-1/2 x 2-1/2 inches)
- ½ cup butter softened (one stick)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure gluten free vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all purpose gluten-free flour blend (such as Cup4Cup or Bob's Red Mill 1to1)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum omit if your flour blend contains it already
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup mashed very ripe bananas about 3 medium
- ½ cup sour cream plain or vanilla yogurt can be used as well
- ½-1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a standard loaf pan.
- Cream butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
- Add the flour, baking soda, salt, xanthan (if using), cardamom, and cinnamon, and beat until just combined. Stir in the mashed banana and sour cream and mix until completely incorporated. Carefully fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for about one hour and 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack to finish cooling completely.
Thank you for helping support my small business! A Girl Defloured earns revenue in a few different ways; I have occasional sponsored post and I also earn an affiliate commission on the sales of products I link to— there are a few of those links in this post. The only items that I feature are those that I use on a regular basis and that I truly love. I earn a small commission on your purchase, but you don’t pay any more than retail price. This allows me to share my recipes with you (and keeps me well fed). THANK YOU!