This Gluten-Free Chocolate Peppermint Cupcake recipe has classic holiday flavors. Each scrumptious bite is filled with rich chocolate, cooling peppermint, and crunchy peppermint candies. These are a delicious Christmas treat that’s been on repeat in our house for many years!Jump to Recipe
Images, recipe card, nutritional information, and instructions updated 12/08/2021.
Once a month my daughter and her friends (and their mothers), gather for some much needed girl time. While it’s true that we spend the majority of our time eating, drinking and making merry, we also discuss a book that the moms and daughters have read during the past month. Yay literacy! Tonight the group is meeting at my house to discuss That Was the Best Christmas Pageant Ever and have an ornament exchange.
As the hostess I’m responsible for providing dessert, and this gluten-free chocolate peppermint cupcake recipe seemed appropriate. Perhaps I will bore you to death with my goings on about chocolate and peppermint goodies. Or perhaps you’re like me and can’t seem to get enough of this most delightful combination of flavors…
Normally I don’t use food coloring, but I adore these candy stripes on the frosting. To get this effect, simply drizzle four drops of food coloring around the inside of your piping bag (or large zip-top bag with one corner snipped off). Carefully spoon in the frosting and twist the top of the bag shut. As you frost the cupcakes, a pink swirl will appear.
Here are a few more holiday baking recipes to get you in the spirit!
- Easy + Delicious Honey Roasted Nuts Recipe
- Chocolate Candy Cane Crush Cookies
- Gluten-Free-Mexican Wedding Cookies
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and star rating below (⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐) and post a picture and tag us on Instagram using the hashtags #agirldefloured #deflouredrecipes! Thank you!
Gluten Free Chocolate + Peppermint Cupcake Recipe
- Muffin tin
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ cups all purpose gluten free flour blend
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 extra large eggs
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup hot water
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
For the Peppermint Buttercream
- 1 cup butter softened
- 3-4 cups of powdered sugar sifted
- 4 tablespoons whole milk
- 1½ teaspoons of peppermint extract
- ½ teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line muffin tins with paper liners, or spray with gluten free cooking spray.
- Mix, cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and xanthan gum in a large bowl with a whisk. Add eggs, buttermilk, hot water, canola oil and vanilla extract and beat well until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon dough into prepared muffin tins, filling each cup about ⅔ full. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cupcake comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to finish cooling completely.
- Make the frosting. Beat the butter with the powdered sugar, milk, extracts and salt until light and fluffy. Frost as desired when cupcakes have cooled.
Thank you for helping support my small business! A Girl Defloured earns revenue in a few different ways; I have occasional sponsored post and I also earn an affiliate commission on the sales of products I link to— there are a few of those links in this post. The only items that I feature are those that I use on a regular basis and that I truly love. I earn a small commission on your purchase, but you don’t pay any more than retail price. This allows me to share my recipes with you (and keeps me well fed). THANK YOU!