This recipe for Gluten Free Eggnog Cake is the cake of Christmas memories. Not only does it taste fabulous, but your home will be filled with the most wonderful fragrance of nutmeg, butter and rum. The rum glaze is delicious. But it’s a bit on the boozy side. So if children will be eating the cake, you might want to substitute it for pure vanilla extract.Jump to Recipe
Recipe card, nutritional information, images and text updated 12/08/2021.
Look, I’m no Sandra Lee–and most of the time I turn my nose up at cake mix. But sometimes, especially during the holidays, I need a quick dessert recipe. One that I can literally have in the oven in five minutes. A cake that fills my house with the most comforting aroma of eggnog. This is a holiday recipe that I can serve unashamed to the most discriminating guests. (Or the least discriminating guests…who are much more fun to entertain, no?).
And so it is with this cake. My mom used to make it when I was a kid, which is probably why I love it so much. It was impressed upon my psyche at a young age, as most holiday goodies are, and now it is a forever tradition. After becoming gluten free, I panicked–would the gluten free cake mixes taste as good as Betty Crocker’s glutenous versions? In a word, pretty much! (Ok, that was two words…)
Pamela’s Classic Vanilla Cake Mix works very well in this recipe for gluten-free eggnog cake. Feel free to use whichever one you like the best, or any other gluten-free cake mix you like, but make sure that you check the quantity. If the mix only makes one layer you’ll need two packages for this recipe.
Sometimes I glaze it, other times I dust it with powdered sugar…you really can’t go wrong with this classic Christmas confection.
I’ve got lots more gluten-free holiday baking inspiration!
- Chocolate Candy Cane Crush Cookies
- Gluten-Free-Mexican Wedding Cookies
- Easy + Delicious Honey Roasted Nuts Recipe
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Peppermint Cupcake Recipe
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and star rating below (⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐) and post a picture and tag us on Instagram using the hashtags #agirldefloured #deflouredrecipes! Thank you!
Gluten-Free Eggnog Cake
- Bundt Cake Pan
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease a bundt pan well with gluten free cooking spray or butter.
- Place cake mix, melted butter, canola, eggs, eggnog, rum and nutmeg in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or use a hand mixer). Beat on low speed until all ingredients are incorporated (about 1 minute), beat on medium high for 1 minute more.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Make the glaze by whisking the eggnog and rum or vanilla into the powdered sugar until the mixture is smooth and shiny. Drizzle decoratively over the cake. Top with an additional sprinkling of nutmeg if desired. Or just dust the finished, cooled cake with powdered sugar, instead of making the glaze.