These Gluten Free Mexican Wedding Cookies are nutty confections that look like round snowballs and are a favorite at cookie exchanges.Jump to Recipe
Recipe card, nutritional information, images and instructions updated 12/08/2021.
I wish that I could slow down real time and add more days until Christmas because I am not ready. But I never am, so I guess it really doesn’t matter in the end. Christmas comes, ready or not, and it’s mostly always a wonderful day! (Even that Christmas where we all had the stomach flu wasn’t that bad. Okay, it totally was, but we still managed to have some fun…ugh).
I did finally order our cards and our tree is decorated and gorgeous this year. I’m getting ready to wrap today (not really a fan, I must say). At any rate, the kitchen is still humming with my usual holiday treats. And, I’ve switched to wearing all-things-stretchy until at least late January when I’m hoping to be able to button my pants again.
Last week, I had a special request for those holiday nut cookies that are shaped into balls and rolled in powdered sugar. I call them Gluten Free Mexican Wedding cookies. They are my absolute favorite cookie in the world (I think I say that about everything…). But these really are. They are buttery, crunchy and nutty.
The cookie itself isn’t particularly sweet as the sweetness comes from rolling it in powdered sugar–the same powdered sugar that can be accidentally inhaled when biting into one of these beauties causing you to choke and then run, sputtering from the room at the cookie exchange party. (Not like I would know, but be warned, my friends). These cookies are a must-have at Christmas time. Or during a Mexican wedding, apparently.
Love Cookies – We’ve Got You Covered!
- The Best Recipe for Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Candy Cane Crush Cookies
- Lemon Lavender Snickerdoodle Cookies – Gluten Free
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and star rating below (⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐) and post a picture and tag us on Instagram using the hashtags #agirldefloured #deflouredrecipes! Thank you!
Gluten Free Mexican Wedding Cookies
- Parchment paper
- Pulse together flour blend, almond flour, xanthan gum if using, sugar and pecans (in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade) until nuts are finely ground. Add butter and pulse just until large crumbs form. Add the egg and pulse again, just until the dough comes together. Remove dough and wrap in plastic, shaping into a disk. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Shape dough by the tablespoonful into balls and place 1 inch apart on baking sheets. Bake in batches until lightly golden brown, about 15-20 minutes per batch.
- While cookies bake, lightly sift a layer of powdered sugar onto a baking pan with sides. When cookies are finished baking, transfer them to the sugared pan, and sprinkle additional sugar on top of each cookie. Transfer cookies to a rack to cool completely.
Thank you for helping support my small business! A Girl Defloured earns revenue in a few different ways; I have occasional sponsored post and I also earn an affiliate commission on the sales of products I link to— there are a few of those links in this post. The only items that I feature are those that I use on a regular basis and that I truly love. I earn a small commission on your purchase, but you don’t pay any more than retail price. This allows me to share my recipes with you (and keeps me well fed). THANK YOU!