Kickstart Your Day the Gluten-Free Way!
Good morning, shiny happy people (or if you’re like me, you’re not particularly shiny or happy first thing (at least until the coffee kicks in)! Today, I’m beyond excited to share a recipe that will wake your taste buds into action from the first bite. I think you’re going to love these sensational gluten-free scones spiked with cheddar and jalapeño peppers – a perfect blend of cheesy goodness and spicy jalapeño zing!Jump to Recipe
Why These Gluten Free Scones are a Must-Try
These delicious savory scones combine the sharpness of cheddar and the gentle heat of jalapeños. It’s like a fiesta in your mouth, and the best part? Even though they are gluten free they taste exactly like a scone should taste. Perfect for breakfast, brunch, or just a spicy snack to perk up your day.
The Magic of Gluten-Free Baking
For many, the idea of gluten-free baking can seem daunting. But I’ve got you! These Cheddar Jalapeño Scones are surprisingly easy to make, and the result is so delightful that honestly nobody will be able to tell they’re gluten-free.
Ingredients to Gather
- Gluten-free all-purpose flour
- Fresh jalapeños, diced (adjust according to your heat preference)
- Sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cold butter, cubed
- Baking essentials (baking powder, xanthan, salt, etc.)
- Heavy cream & eggs (a secret to tender gluten free scones)
Baking the Perfect Scone
- Prep Work: Preheat your oven and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dry Mix: Whisk together the gluten-free flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Butter Time: Cut in the cold butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. I always use my food processor for this part.
4. Cheese and Jalapeños: Stir in the shredded cheddar and diced jalapeños.
5.. Bring it Together: Add heavy cream and eggs and gently mix until a dough forms.
6. Shape it Up: Turn the dough onto a floured surface, shape into a circle, and cut into wedges.
7. Bake to Perfection: Bake until golden brown. The aroma will be irresistible.
These scones are best served warm. You can enjoy them as they are or with a dollop of cream cheese or tomato jam for extra flavor. They’re perfect for a weekend brunch or as a spicy accompaniment to your favorite soup or salad.
Gluten-Free, But Not Joy-Free!
The beauty of these Gluten-Free Cheddar Jalapeño Scones is that they’re just as delicious (if not more!) as their gluten-containing counterparts. They’re a testament to the fact that going gluten-free doesn’t mean sacrificing flavor or fun in your cooking.
Spreading the Gluten-Free Joy
Remember, gluten-free baking is an adventure. It’s about experimenting, discovering new flavors, and, most importantly, enjoying the process. Whether you’re a seasoned gluten-free baker or just starting, these Cheddar Jalapeño Scones are a great way to spice up your culinary repertoire. Happy baking!
More Gluten Free Scones to Try:
- Lemon Lavender Scones: A Gluten Free Delight for Your Tea Table
- The Best Gluten-Free Scone Recipe with Maple + Oats
- The Best Biscuit for Strawberry Shortcake (Gluten-Free with Dairy Free Option)
Did you make this gluten free scone recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and star rating below (⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐) and post a picture and tag us on Instagram using the hashtags #agirldefloured #deflouredrecipes! Thank you!
Gluten-Free Cheddar Jalapeño Scones
- 1½ cups all-purpose gluten-free flour blend I like Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum omit if your flour blend already contains it – Bob’s does
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter cubed
- 1/3 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 jalapeño pepper seeded and deveined, chopped (about 1 tablespoon of chopped peppers or to taste)
- 2 cold eggs
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream plus more for brushing
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, xanthan if using, and salt and pulse to combine. Add the butter and pulse until it is roughly the size of peas. Add the cheese and chopped jalapeno peppers, and pulse a few times more just to combine.
- Whisk the eggs and heavy cream together in a bowl. Add to the food processor and pulse just until everything comes together. It should be a little crumbly still.
- Pour mixture out onto the prepared baking sheet and pat into a disk that is about 1½ inches thick. Cut into 6 triangles and using a spatula, evenly space the scones on the baking sheet. Brush each scone with heavy cream, sprinkle with cheese and top with a slice or two of jalapeno.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes, or until the scones are lightly golden brown.
- Remove from oven and leave on the pan to cool completely.
- Scones can be kept at room temperature and are best if eaten within a day or two.
Thank you for helping support my small business! A Girl Defloured earns revenue in a few different ways; I have occasional sponsored post and I also earn an affiliate commission on the sales of products I link to— there are a few of those links in this post. The only items that I feature are those that I use on a regular basis and that I truly love. I earn a small commission on your purchase, but you don’t pay any more than retail price. This allows me to share my recipes with you!