Paloma Picante Cocktail | Jump to Recipe
I’ve heard it said that the Paloma is the poor man’s margarita. And these days, especially with our lime shortage, I’d have to agree. Made with a mixture of tequila & grapefruit soda, there is nary a lime to be seen in this cocktail. This Paloma Picante Cocktail is, however, light, refreshing and totally awesome.
Of course, just adding grapefruit soda seems too easy, yes? So I make my own grapefruit simple syrup and club soda (with our Soda Stream) for a homemade version. And because I like…er love my tipples to have a bit of heat, I add muddled jalapeño peppers.
For giggles, I swipe each lowball’s rim with a grapefruit slice, then dip them in a mixture of salt, sugar and chile powder. Out to the patio I go, glass in hand, to watch the sunset, catch up with friends, and play a rousing game of Cornhole.
I know I will be enjoying this Paloma Picante Cocktail all summer long–you should too. ¡a tu salud!
LOVE COCKTAILS? CHECK OUT THESE OTHER RECIPES!
If you make this recipe, or any of my others be sure to tag me on Instagram, and use the hashtags #agirldefloured #deflouredrecipes!
- zest & juice from a medium grapefruit
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup water
- 2 slices of jalapeno pepper
- 2 ounces white tequila
- club soda (to top)
- sugar/salt/cayenne for the glass rims
- To make the simple syrup place the grapefruit zest, juice, sugar and water into a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. Stir until sugar dissolves, remove from heat and cool.
- When ready to mix the drinks rub the rim of two lowball glasses with a cut slice of grapefruit. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1 tablespoon of kosher salt, and a large pinch of cayenne pepper onto a plate and mix to combine. Dip each glass into the salt/sugar mixture to rim. Fill the glasses with ice and set aside.
- Put the jalapeno slices into a cocktail shaker and muddle well. Add 2 ounces of grapefruit simple syrup and 2 ounces of white tequila into a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake vigorously and pour into prepared glasses. Top with club soda and garnish with a jalapeno or grapefruit slice.