Brussels sprouts and peas might not be the first pairing that comes to mind, but their contrasting textures and complementary flavors create a harmonious balance that’s both satisfying and nutritious. The hearty crunch of Brussels sprouts melds beautifully with the tender sweetness of peas, resulting in a vibrant brussels sprouts recipe that’s ready to be adorned with a burst of bold and fresh flavors.Jump to Recipe
A Dance of Flavors: Peas + Brussels Sprouts
I hate peas. My husband loves peas. This culinary impasse of sorts doesn’t cause us too many problems, because my husband also loves me and doesn’t care (overly much) that I hardly ever make them. But sometimes I do. And this Peas and Brussels Sprouts with Mint Jalapeño Vinaigrette is one of the ways I can tolerate them.
When I do make peas, I tend to serve them on the underdone side. Crunchy, fresh peas are admittedly quite good. They are sweet, bright, and grassy…like those early days of spring. But if they are cooked one second too long, they turn soft & musky (and therefore loathsome to me).
The Star of the Show: Jalapeño Mint Vinaigrette
One thing that helps peas, even cooked peas, become more palatable is the sauce that dresses them. I like it to be assertive and tangy…spicy even…not to disguise the flavor, but rather improve upon it. Accentuate it. Bring out its best side.
That’s how this dish was born. Lightly cloaked in a mint jalapeño vinaigrette, the peas sing in my mouth. It’s a song that I almost like upon first listen, and dare I say that it’s a song that could even become a favorite if I listen to it enough.
How about you…are there any vegetables that you don’t like?
Love This Brussels Sprouts Recipe? Here are a few more veggie forward recipes to try!
- Easy Mint and Pea Pesto
- Brussels Sprouts Slaw with Aji Verde Dressing
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Radishes and Gorgonzola
If you make this recipe, or any other recipe from my blog, drop a comment below and be sure to tag me on Instagram, and use the hashtags #agirldefloured #deflouredrecipes! Thank you!
Peas & Brussels w/ Mint Jalapeño Vinaigrette
- Stem and halve the brussels sprouts. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the grape seed oil and heat one minute. Add the brussels sprouts, and sauté, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes, or until the sprouts start to color and become tender. Add the peas, shallots and butter, stirring until the butter is melted. Add the wine and simmer for 1-2 minutes more, until the wine is nearly cooked off. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Make the dressing. Put the mint, jalapeño, vinegar, and oil in a blender. Pulse until smooth. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Toss the dressing with the brussels sprouts and peas. Taste for seasoning and serve immediately.