Quick and Easy, Creamy Tomato and Roasted Bell Pepper Soup
Here is a super easy, super fast, super comforting soup recipe that tastes like it was made from farm fresh ingredients, but it’s really made from ingredients in your pantry. The key is to have really great, high quality canned goods on hand. If you do, then you’re only 30 minutes away from the most delicious, quick and easy, creamy tomato roasted bell pepper soup.Jump to Recipe
How to Make Creamy Tomato and Roasted Bell Pepper Soup (that tastes like it simmered for hours)
For this recipe, and frankly any other recipe that calls for canned tomatoes, it’s always a good idea to start with the best canned tomatoes you can find (and afford). I love the S.M.T Whole Peeled Tomatoes, but also like Cento Certified Peeled Tomatoes.
Then there is the matter of dairy. It’s vital in this creamy tomato and roasted bell pepper soup – the onions and garlic are sautéed in a generous amount of butter, which not only helps mellow the onions, but also the canned tomatoes. The soup is also finished with a decent splash of cream. This is non-negotiable.
What is negotiable, is the homemade sourdough croutons to put on top. But why would anyone leave them off? They are so easy to make and really elevate this pantry staple soup.
Ingredients for this Quick & Easy Creamy Tomato and Roasted Bell Pepper Soup
There are a few ingredients that I make sure I always have in my pantry, including good canned tomatoes, good stock, and roasted bell peppers. Here’s what you’re going to need to make this soup:
- 1, 28 oz can of peeled whole tomatoes
- 12 oz jar of roasted red bell peppers
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- one large red onion, chopped
- 2-4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 cup of good quality stock (vegetable or chicken is fine)
- heavy cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cubes of sourdough bread, sautéed until they are gloriously golden brown in really good extra virgin olive oil
That’s all you need! With just a few pantry staples you are only 30 minutes away from the most delicious, comforting, satisfying bowl of tomato and roasted bell pepper soup. We make it often for lunch – it’s perfect for dipping in your grilled cheese sandwich too.
LOVE SOUP? TRY THESE OTHER GREAT RECIPES:
If you make this recipe, or any other recipe from my blog, drop a comment below, leave a star rating, and be sure to tag me on Instagram, and use the hashtags #agirldefloured #deflouredrecipes! Thank you!
Quick and Easy Creamy Tomato Roasted Bell Pepper Soup
- 1 28 oz can of peeled whole tomatoes
- 1 12 oz jar of roasted red bell peppers
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 red onion large, chopped
- 2-4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 slices sourdough bread gluten-free obviously, crusts removed and cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are tender and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes and carefully break them apart with your hands or a masher until they are in small chunks. Drain the jar of roasted red peppers and add them to the pot, along with the stock.
- Turn heat to high, bring to a simmer, then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered for 20 minutes.
- While soup is cooking heat olive oil in a skillet. Add the bread cubes and saute, stirring often, until the bread is gloriously toasty and golden brown. Season croutons with salt and pepper and set aside.
- After the 20 minutes of cooking time, puree soup using an immersion blender, or a regular one. If you use a regular blender, take care to vent the soup to allow steam to escape.
- Taste soup for seasoning, and add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the heavy cream, top with croutons and an additional drizzle of heavy cream, if desired. Serve immediately.