A Tasty and Refreshing Gin Fizz Recipe
Happy Friday! I’m so excited to share this week’s Cocktail O’Clock recipe, a delicious gin fizz, from Mary Fran Wiley, a native Chicagoan, web designer, and the mastermind of FrannyCakes, a terrific gluten-free blog. What I love about Mary Fran is that her blog persona, and her real one, are very much the same. She is truly one of the most genuine, open and honest people I have ever met. I had such a fantastic time with her a few weeks ago at the Gluten and Allergen Free Expo, and also at The French Laundry (any girl who works like crazy to get one of the hardest reservations in America–and includes me!!–is a friend por vida).
From Mary Fran…
I totally wanted to do something with Malort, but I figured you wouldn’t be able to find it out there – it is a Chicago thing (and people either love it or hate it).
So, I have for you a Rosemary Gin Fizz.
It might sound like a cocktail straight from the 50’s and I am ok with that…I love the classics. Red lipstick, a killer pair of black stilletos, chocolate chip cookies, and a darn good cocktail.
I am not sure when I started liking gin – something must have snapped when I started being closer to 30 than 25.
This is a perfect spring drink – fresh and herbal. The kind of drink you want to have the first nights that you can sit on the porch and eat dinner. Although, I might just make this up for Easter dinner with my family this year.
I would just like to add, that I have now tried Mary Fran’s cocktail a few (too many?) times. And it is spectacular. It shares a similar flavor profile to the mojito (liquor+herbs+sparkles) but it’s so much classier. I know we will add this into our cocktail rotation this spring, and well into the summer. Cheers!
If you loved this gin fizz, here are some other drinks you’re sure to enjoy:
- Violet Champagne Cocktail – The Elizabeth Taylor
- Must Make Lemon Lavender Summer Gin Spritz
- A Great Cranberry and Gin Cocktail
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and star rating below (⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐) and post a picture and tag us on Instagram using the hashtags #agirldefloured #deflouredrecipes! Thank you!
Rosemary Gin Fizz
- Cocktail Shaker
- 4 rosemary sprigs plus extra for garnish
- 1 tablespoon + 1½ teaspoons granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- ⅔ cup gin
- juice of 1 meyer lemon
- 1 L soda water
- Combine 4 rosemary sprigs, the granulated sugar and the ⅓ cup water in a small saucepan. Turn the burner on to medium and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow it to cool and then strain the syrup.
- In a cocktail shaker half filled with ice, combine the gin, lemon juice and 3 tablespoons of the rosemary syrup. Shake vigorously for a good 30 seconds. Strain into 4 glasses half filled with ice, top them off with soda water and garnish with a sprig of rosemary (optional).
Thank you for helping support my small business! A Girl Defloured earns revenue in a few different ways; I have occasional sponsored post and I also earn an affiliate commission on the sales of products I link to— there might be a few of those links in this post. The only items that I feature are those that I use on a regular basis and that I truly love. I earn a small commission on your purchase, but you don’t pay any more than retail price. This allows me to share my recipes with you (and keeps me well fed). THANK YOU!
Bravo, Mary Fran, for reviving a classic cocktail with a twist! xo
Good drinks, good friends, good times. Salud!