These addictive sugared walnuts are sweet and salty and have just a touch of heat from cayenne pepper. Serve them as a nibble at your next cocktail party, or give them as a hostess gift, wrapped in a pretty bowl.
Recipe card & instructions updated 3/21/22.Jump to Recipe
Regarding nuts there are two camps –one group just loves nuts and all things nutty and one group not so much. I guess that I fall somewhere in the middle. In my opinion, nuts make a good snack on their own. I make them often enough when we are entertaining to munch on with our cocktails. I like them in salads or sprinkled on my veggies, but I am not a huge fan of nuts in sweet treats.
That being said, I am crazy for sugared nuts! I love honey roasted peanuts to be sure, but my hands-down favorite are sugared spiced walnuts or pecans. I love them on my caramel apples and in my oatmeal, in my winter salads and just right out of the bowl. And nuts are good for me, right? Practically a health food, I think!
In Cape Cod there is a woman who makes these amazing sugared walnuts called Wicked Walnuts. They are outrageously delicious and addictive and the recipe is obviously a closely guarded secret. Even though I do have a slight walnut sensitivity, that is a small price to pay for eating them! So since I am not currently on the Cape, a few years ago, I successfully recreated the recipe myself….and it’s close enough to tide me over until our next visit.
We give often them to neighbors and friends in lieu of holiday cookies. And as a bonus, these make a lovely, last minute hostess gift. I can’t think of a more beautiful, festive (and delicious) gift than these sugared, spiced walnuts.
Love these sugared walnuts? Here are some great recipes to accompany them for the holidays:
- An Easy Cocktail Recipe for Holiday Parties
- An Easy and Impressive Salad for Thanksgiving
- Peppermint Ice Cream
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and star rating below (⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐) and post a picture and tag us on Instagram using the hashtags #agirldefloured #deflouredrecipes! Thank you!
Sugar & Spice Walnuts
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Beat the egg white in a large bowl until it’s quite foamy. Toss walnuts with egg white so they are thoroughly coated.
- Place sugar, salt, and spices into a large zip top bag. Remove walnuts from egg white with a slotted spoon, letting any excess egg drip out. Place nuts in the sugar bag and shake vigorously to coat.
- Pour out onto greased cookie sheet and separate nuts. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until dry and toasted.
- Mix sugar topping in a large bowl. Gently break apart walnuts with a fork or spatula. Place in the bowl with the sugar and toss to coat. Place back on the cookie sheet to cool. When cool, toss with the cranberries and seal in air-tight containers.
Thank you for helping support my small business! A Girl Defloured earns revenue in a few different ways; I have occasional sponsored post and I also earn an affiliate commission on the sales of products I link to— there might be a few of those links in this post. The only items that I feature are those that I use on a regular basis and that I truly love. I earn a small commission on your purchase, but you don’t pay any more than retail price. This allows me to share my recipes with you (and keeps me well fed). THANK YOU!