This delicious chicken salad with grapes gets extra crunch from celery and toasted nuts. It’s tossed in a lemony creamy poppyseed yogurt dressing and is light and so incredibly easy to make. Serve it in a lettuce cup, in a sandwich or with crackers. It’s the perfect packable meal for all your summer adventures!Jump to Recipe
I love chicken salad. To me, it’s like summer comfort food. But some chicken salads can be boring or soggy. This chicken salad with grapes is definitely not either of those. I like to make my chicken salad with packaged rotisserie chicken breast which I can find at Sprouts or Whole Foods. The cooked chicken in the refrigerated section at Trader Joes also works well for this. I especially like their grilled chicken in this salad.
How to make the Best Chicken Salad Ever
This chicken salad recipe is light and delicious. The dressing is infused with bright lemon zest and juice for extra zing, and I add poppy seeds which makes it delightfully freckled. In this version, I used two kinds of toasted nuts —pecans for their sweetness, and walnuts for their bitter edge. But any nut will do from pine nuts to pepitas (or none at all). You do you! Here’s everything you need to make this salad:
- Roasted/Grilled/Poached Chicken Breast – my favorite (because it’s so easy) is packaged rotisserie chicken that is already shredded. I buy it at Sprouts. But if you feel like poaching or grilling chicken breasts yourself, be my guest!
- Red Grapes – do they need to be red? Yes! Just kidding. But I like red grapes both for their color and their deeper flavor.
- Toasted Nuts – I used pecans + walnuts, but almonds, pine nuts, pepitas, or pistachios would all be great in this.
- Sliced Celery – celery adds tons of crunchy fresh flavor.
- Tarragon – this anise-flavored herb is a bit controversial. If you love it, include it. If you hate it, sub it out for parsley. If you’ve never tried it — TRY IT! It adds great flavor.
- Yogurt Dressing – This dressing has Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon zest and lemon juice from one lemon, a minced shallot and poppy seeds. Oh, and salt and pepper to taste. It is light and zesty and so great on this Chicken Salad with Grapes!
Frequently Asked Questions about Chicken Salad
Usually chicken salad dressing is mayonnaise-based (or mayo only). My version cuts the mayo with Greek Yogurt and adds lots of lemon zest and juice for added punch. I also like to put poppy seeds and minced shallots in my dressing for this Chicken Salad with Grapes recipe.
I like to serve my chicken salad on a bed of lettuce, in a lettuce cup, or simply with crunchy gluten-free crackers. It’s also great in a sandwich with toasted gluten-free bread.
Chicken salad should be served COLD. It’s a salad after all.
I mean, yes, you could use canned chicken to make chicken salad. But just because you CAN use canned chicken doesn’t mean you should. It is SO. MUCH. BETTER. with rotisserie chicken or homemade cooked chicken.
Summer is Salad Season!
Salad for dinner is the move when it’s too hot to think and certainly too hot to cook. Here are a few of my favorite “Salad-for-Dinner” ideas!
Growing up in California, I’ve always been a huge fan of artichokes – I love them steamed, grilled, and stuffed. I love them canned and jarred in herbaceous olive oil. And I love them in salads. Typically I use canned or marinated artichoke hearts in my salad recipes, but I had some small artichokes on hand. So I decided to use them in a zesty artichoke pasta salad with goat cheese, arugula, olives, roasted red peppers and crunchy pistachios that I drizzled with a lemony cumin dressing
This Avocado Chicken Salad is an exercise in contrasts, cool and creamy, spicy and crunchy, it’s the PERFECT way to fancy up some shredded rotisserie chicken. Of course, if you want to cook your own chicken knock yourself out. This mayo free chicken salad is healthy and totally keto friendly and it’s equally delicious over tortilla chips or in lettuce cups.
This hearty and flavorful strawberry salad with chicken is so full of good things it’s perfect for a light, main course summer meal. Serve it with some warm gluten-free dinner rolls and a crisp rosé wine.
Did you make this Chicken Salad with Grapes recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and star rating below (⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐) and post a picture and tag us on Instagram using the hashtags #agirldefloured #deflouredrecipes! Thank you!
Light & Easy Chicken Salad with Grapes
- medium bowl
- chef's knife
For the chicken salad:
For the dressing:
- In a medium bowl, whisk the mayo, yogurt, shallot, lemon juice and zest, mustard, honey, poppy seeds, sea salt and pepper until well mixed.
- Add the chicken, grapes, walnuts, celery, onions, and tarragon and toss gently until everything is evenly coated with the dressing.
- Serve immediately in a sandwich or in lettuce cups or keep well-chilled until ready to serve. Eat within three days.
Thank you for helping support my small business! A Girl Defloured earns revenue in a few different ways; I have occasional sponsored post and I also earn an affiliate commission on the sales of products I link to— there might be a few of those links in this post. The only items that I feature are those that I use on a regular basis and that I truly love. I earn a small commission on your purchase, but you don’t pay any more than retail price. This allows me to share my recipes with you (and keeps me well fed). THANK YOU!