Gluten-Free Orange Blossom Buttermilk Waffles
These gluten-free Orange Blossom Buttermilk Waffles are the perfect thing to serve Mom on Mother’s Day (or any day really). I mean, if we are being really honest, they are the perfect thing to make for yourself on Mother’s Day. Because they are SO EASY and we all know if you want something done right (or at all) you gotta do it yourself. Adapted from my classic buttermilk waffle recipe, these are heady with orange zest and orange blossom water, and so crisp and light.
Recipe card, images and text edited on 7/24/21Jump to Recipe
There’s nothing quite like California citrus season
Here in Southern California citrus season is winding down but many of the trees are in full bloom. A few weekends ago, since we had nothing else to do, we decided to take a drive out the 126 through the orange groves in Fillmore. We picked up some tomatoes that we ordered from Otto & Sons (they had this amazing and convenient drive-through pickup option for online orders). As we drove through the country roads, windows down, sun shining, music playing, the most amazing fragrance filled the car.
Have you ever smelled an orange tree in bloom? It is intoxicating. It’s one of my favorite fragrances to wear, and it also tastes amazing in cocktails and baked goods (and of course these gluten-free flower waffles, scented with just a touch of orange blossom water). You can find orange blossom water at Middle Eastern supermarkets or on Amazon. And as usual for floral flavors, a little goes a long way.
Mother’s Day wishes…
So I’d like to wish a very Happy Mother’s Day to my awesome mom (I miss you so much!). You were and remain an incredible influence in my life. Happy Mother’s Day to my hubby’s mom–you did such a wonderful job raising up the best husband and partner ever. To my friends & family who are in the trenches of motherhood…working hard every day to raise healthy, happy, responsible humans. To my friends who are bereaved mothers, and my friends who have lost their own mothers too soon. Your loss knows no bounds and you are in my thoughts today and always. Happy Mother’s Day to my friends who haven’t given birth to children…but rather art, ideas, careers, businesses, or books. Your creative energy inspires me each and every day.
I hope you all can take a moment to enjoy this beautiful day and appreciate the divine, life-giving force of the feminine. If nobody gets you flowers, that’s ok. You can make yourself some flower waffles – or waffles that taste like beautiful, zesty orange blossoms.
LOVE BREAKFAST? CHECK OUT THESE OTHER RECIPES!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and star rating below (⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐) and post a picture and tag us on Instagram using the hashtags #agirldefloured #deflouredrecipes! Thank you!
Orange Blossom Buttermilk Waffles
- Waffle Iron
- 1½ cups gluten free all-purpose flour blend
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum omit if your flour blend already contains it
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest from one orange
- ¼ teaspoon orange blossom water
- pinch of cinnamon
- ½ cup melted butter cooled (1 stick)
- ¼ cup milk
- Spray waffle iron with gluten free cooking spray and preheat to a medium heat. Heat oven to 250 degrees.
- Whisk flour with baking powder, baking soda, salt, xanthan gum and sugar. Add eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, orange zest, orange blossom water, cinnamon, butter and milk. Whisk until no lumps remain. If the batter seems overly thick, add additional milk (up to ¼ cup more) to thin it.
- Bake in a hot waffle iron according to manufacturers directions. You can remove the waffle to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven, but I think it’s best if it’s eaten immediately. Serve with additional butter and warm maple syrup or honey.